Title: Project Assistant
Number of Positions available: 3
Organization: Arts4All Creative Society
Job Type: Summer, Contract Position (30 hours a week)
Duration: 8week contracts starting Monday, June 24th2019
Deadline to Apply: Friday, May 24th, 2019
This position is funded by Service Canada. Candidates must meet the following requirements:
· Be between 18 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
· Be Canadian citizens, permanent residents or persons to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act;
· Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
Arts4All has an 18-year history of artistic excellence and inclusion in Davenport West. Many hundreds of people of all ages and backgrounds, be they residents, artists, volunteers and partner staff, have participated in large scale, multi-year projects that bring local narratives to life in our neighbourhood's spaces, and beyond. We strive to support our neighbourhood’s presence in Toronto’s larger cultural landscape through ensuring access to the arts for the incredible, beautiful and often-overlooked people who live in Davenport.
About The Position:
The Project Assistants will be primarily responsible for designing, facilitating and supporting workshops for Arts4All’s current project, It’s Where We Walk. This arts-based research project aims to gather and animate local stories of path making through inclusive public art creation. At this time we are looking for 3 project assistants to support community members during workshops and to assist lead artists to prepare and deliver programming. The project assistants will report to the Project Manager and be directed by the Artistic Director.
- Working with professional artists and the project coordinator to design, and facilitate workshops in local partner programs and Arts4All’s own programs
- Providing one-on-one support to community participants
- Mapping neighbourhood locations for public art
- Assisting lead artists with artwork prep and installation
- Media documentation
- Attending team planning and debrief meetings
- Supporting and modeling inclusive community collaboration practices
The ideal candidate would have:
- Post Secondary Arts Training in their Artistic practice, or a proven experience and interest in art making (particular emphasis on mural painting, textile arts, ceramics and other visual mediums)
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Self-motivated and able to work independently, as well as collaboratively with a team
- Experience working with people of diverse ages, abilities and/or cultural and linguistic backgrounds
- Experience in social work, community and/or arts settings, an asset
- Experience with workshop facilitation, in both leading and supporting roles.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) and Google Drive
- Other language (esp. Spanish, Portuguese) an asset
How to Apply:
Applicants should email their resume with a one-page cover letter indicating their interest and qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org with Project Assistant in the subject line. If you don’t have computer access, or require any other accommodation to assist with your application please call us at 416 656 8025 ext. 245 and leave a message.
Arts4All is committed to equitable hiring and encourages applications from people who self-identify as people with disabilities, refugees, and new immigrants, or as members of Indigenous, racialized, 2SLGBTQ+, and other marginalized communities.
We thank everyone for their interest, but only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.